<< HOME
 
toxic jobs

Personal stories about toxic jobs and workplace woes.


January 13, 2007

resigning with style

Victoria is married with a high income husband and when a job becomes unpleasant in any way she has the advantage of being able to nip things in the bud very quickly and resign with style.

"I work for fun rather than money," explains Victoria, "and when a job becomes stressful or coworkers become nasty I just don't hang and allow things to get so bad that my health and looks suffer -- I give notice to quit immediately, whether or not I have another job lined up."

"My husband has a six-figure salary and is more than willing to financially support me if I'm not working," says Victoria, "but so far I've never experienced a between jobs period because another job always come up and I'll tell you why it does."

"The secret of my success in being able to get out of bad work situations and into another job quickly is to resign as soon as I feel uncomfortable and to do so with style."

"Because I'm pleasant about the whole thing, the employer I'm leaving is more than happy to give me excellent references and in many cases he or she will recommend me directly to a new employer, starting immediately!"

"I pay heed to the early signs of trouble at the places I work, and I turn the process of quitting into a fine art rather than the stressful experience it is for most other people."

"If you get out of a bad workplace before it becomes really toxic," explains Victoria, "you can make your resignation a pleasant experience for both yourself and the employer."

"I give ample notice of my intention to quit, I tie up all loose ends before I leave, and I hand over my work to the next person with the minimum of fuss. No matter how bad my situation was in these jobs, I've always been rewarded when I leave with great references and a farewell party."

"It sounds hypocritical, and it is," laughs Victoria, "but that's the way the world works. People whose nasty behavior is the reason for your resignation, will be all smiles and sweetness as soon as they know you've resigned."

"It doesn't matter whether you've been with a company for two days or twenty years," says Victoria. "It's vitally important to pick up the early signs of trouble at work and quit while you're ahead and in control of the situation."

"Too many women have a habit of either rationalizing the early signs of trouble, or missing them altogether and as a consequence of this failure they end up stuck in an intolerable situation at work and become so stressed that they are unable to quit with style."

"When the obvious signs of trouble hit you, it's too late to save yourself," says Victoria. "By then, you've become very uncomfortable and very stressed. Let's face it, that's exactly what the obvious signs of trouble are designed for. You didn't take the hint at the first sign of trouble -- you rationalized it -- and now they want to make you feel absolutely miserable. They want to get rid of you and if you are not going to resign on good terms, then they are going to force you into resigning on bad terms or, worse still, sack you for being the stressed out, incompetent person you've become as a result of their harassment."

"I always resign at the earliest stages of trouble," says Victoria, "so I've never experienced the humiliation of being forced out of a job. But I've seen many, many women who hang on in there until the bitter end and totally ruin their lives in the process."

"I realize that a lot of women desperately need their jobs," explains Victoria, "but isn't health more important? Women can become physically ill when they're stressed every day with unpleasant things happening at work."

"I advise all women to quit before they get seriously ill," says Victoria. "Yes, I appreciate that many women are single - have a family to feed, a mortgage to pay and may have tramped the streets for months before they got their present job -- but the more you put up with bad treatment at work the more heartbreaking your ultimate quitting experience is going to be."

"If entitlements are due then it is obviously in your best interests to obtain legal advice about whether to deliberately slack off and force them to fire you," says Victoria, "but as money is never an issue for me I always opt to get out immediately before madness sets in."

"No matter what the truth is," says Victoria, "the advice given by employment gurus about resigning is absolutely the right thing to do."

"The gurus say that the only acceptable reason for resigning a job is 'a desire to expand one's horizons, having achieved all one is capable of doing in one's present job and being regretful that one must leave such a wonderful job with wonderful managers and co-workers' and that's the only way to resign with style."

"Yes, of course, it's a pack of lies but you've got to do it in order to get good references," says Victoria. "If you don't like lying, or you're not good at it, then learn how to do it -- go to drama school or something -- because if you can't lie convincingly in these situations then you'll never get anywhere."

"You can only resign with style when you're not stressed," says Victoria, "so if you've allowed a bad situation to get worse then you've gone way beyond that point where you can resign with style."

"When you're stressed out of your brain in a bad work situation you are incapable of lying convincingly about your reasons for wanting to leave," says Victoria, "and even if those responsible for your misery are not gloating at your demise it is very difficult not to become very angry under these circumstances."

"Losing your cool at work is a no-no," says Victoria. "If you've reached that stage, you really need to get out of the place as quickly as you can, under any pretext, before you explode."

For a resignation to take effect immediately, Victoria says that nothing beats one simple sentence: "Due to a medical condition I must regretfully tender my resignation, effective immediately."

"You don't have to state what the medical condition is," explains Victoria, "and you don't even need to have a medical condition. Just invent one for the purpose of getting out of the place quickly and let them imagine what they will about the nature of your mysterious medical condition."

"Lie, lie and lie some more!" laughs Victoria, "And smile, smile and smile some more, too!"

"On no account," says Victoria, "give in to the temptation to vent when writing a resignation note, and under the special circumstances of your resignation do not elaborate -- a single sentence is sufficient."

"I cannot stress how important it is to your future career to resign with as much style as you can no matter the circumstances," says Victoria. "If you even hint that you had an interpersonal problem at your last job you will be branded as someone unfit for teamwork and, because 99% of positions require teamwork, you will not find another job easily."

"It’s possible," says Victoria, "that married women are preferred employees because they often do have the advantage of a husband to support them and can quit with style."

"Hopefully, after one bad quitting experience every woman can see the point of never allowing a bad work situation to escalate to a point where anger takes over."

"If employers cannot or will not fix work problems," says Victoria, "then you've really got to bite the bullet and take control of your life."

Labels: , , , ,


Copyright 2006-2014 all rights reserved Toxic Jobs



 

Index

Index A-Z Toxic Jobs and Workplace Woes

Previous 10 Stories