<< HOME
 
toxic jobs

Personal stories about toxic jobs and workplace woes.


November 11, 2012

project manager to clerk

Jackie had a good attitude and did all the right things to recover from the shock of being axed from a project manager’s position, but being 49 proved to be too much of a handicap in finding a similar position and she ended up in a lowly clerical job which is killing her inside.

"There were jobs being advertised that would have suited me," says Jackie, "but somehow I never got to first base and I am sure that my age must have gone against me."

"I had survived the slashes of the 1990s when I was ten years younger than I am now," says Jackie, "but this time around I was not going to be so lucky."

Five years later, Jackie is still in her mind-numbing job and in a perverse way is somehow grateful for it.

"I'm resigned to the fact that I will probably remain in this job until retirement," says Jackie. "It's paying my bills, and that's good, but it's killing me inside."

"I’m paying the bills," explains Jackie, "but I’m saving nothing."

“Dealing with customers in an insurance company is stressful work – far more stressful than being a project manager,” explains Jackie. “I am not in charge here, I must follow rules, and I’m not used to that.”

“I am flat out dealing with customers all day long and I come home exhausted,” says Jackie. “Even if a fabulous job were now offered to me, I just don’t have the energy or enthusiasm to take it.”

“I feel like 69, not 49,” says Jackie, “and that’s what happens when you become a drone, a wage slave.”


Read more of Jackie’s story:


  • single moms and desperation jobs


  • overqualified & underemployed


  • job hunt desperation points


  • managerial slippery slopes

  • forced into career suicide





  • Copyright 2006-2014 all rights reserved Toxic Jobs



     

    Index

    Index A-Z Toxic Jobs and Workplace Woes

    Previous 10 Stories